________________________________________________________

not all those who wander are lost


Sunday, January 31, 2010

Bienvenidos a Cordoba

I'm here! It's really happening.

Well, I've had quite the experience so far. I just had a feeling before I left Waukesha. It started when the zipper off the brand new purse that I bought for the trip ripped off. That was just the beginning. I arrived in Chicago right on time and was able to have a little dinner before I took off for Toronto. Everything went well until I arrived in Santiago. They made us go through security again after getting off the plane from Toronto, and we were running a little late as it was. I went to my assigned gate for my plane to Cordoba--and they were boarding! Eeeek! I quickly jumped in line and got up to the front. The lady ripped my ticket and I walked off to the plane. About 3 seconds later, she came running in behind me, "Rebecca Rebecca!" And proceeded to tell me that this plane was boarding for Mexico City, not Cordoba. Big ooops. Who really has two planes board within 15 minutes of each other anyway? Ugh. So not my fault. After that embarrassment, I finally boarded the correct plane and came to Cordoba. I really enjoyed flying over the mountains; they aren't that wide, but they are beautiful. I made some new friends in the airport too, and the man next to me was very sweet.

In all my travels, I always get very nervous walking up to the baggage carousel. I've never had a problem... until yesterday. Yes, that's right everyone, my two brand new suitcases filled with all my treasures did not arrive with my plane. I talked to an employee and was moved into a line. Let me just interject that after close to 24 hours of traveling and hot weather and sticky clothes and general discomfort, it is not easy to speak Spanish--especially when people expect you to be speaking it. It's wonderful that I look like I fit in, but it's a problem when people address me like I should be able to follow everything they say the first time they say it. Anyways, back to the story. I did meet a woman who's daughter attends my university, so that was nice. And the Argentinean people in general-SO NICE! Everyone take back everything you've ever said about the Argentineans being snotty or stuck up or untrustworthy of foreigners. EVERY PERSON I've talked to so far has been so welcoming and so happy to chat. Anyways, I digress. So, they are looking for my bags. Hopefully they are found soon. I walked out to the general airport, and I couldn't find Olga. I looked every person in the eye, waiting for the "ahhhhh, RRRRRRebecca" But nothing. I remained calm in the face of adversity and asked where I could use a telephone. I called her cell phone, but it was off. I got help to call her house phone, but we couldn't figure it out. I couldn't pay for the phone with credit card, so I got money from an ATM. Unfortunately, it only gave me large bills which the cashier couldn't accept. I was officially losing my cool at this point. I walked to the information desk and asked if they could page Olga to see if she was in the airport somewhere. They helped me call her again, and this time we got the right number. Finally, Olga was coming to pick me up.

After this everything improved. Olga and her husband are very nice people and their house is very comfortable. Their son, his wife and child are neighbors, and also very welcoming and nice. Today Olga and I took the bus to my university so I will be able to go there tomorrow SOLA! Ahh. We also went to the mall (across the street from my university--dangerous :)) and I bought a few things to tide me over until my luggage arrives and to get a cell phone. But even if it doesn't, I could get used to the Argentine fashion. We are about to have lunch and then both of Olga's children are coming for a big family dinner tonight! It will be great I'm sure. Although the beginning was pretty rough, today has been awesome. I am finding it easier and easier to converse every time I open my mouth and people are constantly encouraging and helpful if I can't find the correct word. Bueno pues es todo. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment