________________________________________________________

not all those who wander are lost


Thursday, February 18, 2010

A typical day





La manaña



Monday through Friday, I wake up a little after 7:30, and get ready for the day.  Olga always has a breakfast of corn flakes, tea, mate and a special treat out for us.  The milk here is different, but in a delicious way.  It is creamier and perhaps thicker.  By 8:15, we are headed to the bus stop.  It is only a few blocks away, but the buses don't run as frequently in the mornings.  It is a little frustrating to have to rely on a very unpredictable bus schedule to get places.  So sometimes we arrive a half an hour early to class, and other times we are sliding in under the wire.  Our professors are very understanding, especially once they know where you live--everyone deals with the bus schedule here.  


Las clases 


Right now I am in just one class, 4 hours a day, Monday- Friday.  We have two different professors.  Both are sweet women who are so helpful and kind.  It is actually fun to go to class most days.  It must be such a challenge to teach this class, as the nine students are all at different levels in the language.  The nine of us represent three different countries (Japan, Brazil and the United States).  From within the states, we are spread out across the map.  Brice hails from Connecticut, Kelsey from Shelby, North Carolina: home of livermush (don't ask... you don't want to know), Ally from Nashville, Tennessee, little 'ole me from Wisconsin, Heather resides in St. Louis, Missouri, and finally Patrick calls San Jose, California home.  They are a great group of people and have quickly become some close friends.  We have two hours of class, followed by a short break and then the final two hours of class.  During our break, we usually grab some empanadas (jamon y queso por favor!) or a loaded pancho.  We get little homework, as we should be out exploring the city--and so we do!


La Tarde/ La Noche


The afternoons differ, but usually I head home for lunch with my host mother. She cooks a variety of meals. As with many Argentines, she has Italian heritage; we get a lot of pastas. Each meal is balanced and healthy and we usually enjoy a dessert at the end. Afterward, I usually head back to the center. We sometimes head to the public pool, or do some shopping, or just hang out at someone's house/apartment. Sometimes just walking around can be an adventure--dodging cars, stray dogs and street vendors. Towards evening, I either eat lunch at home, or make dinner with friends. On Wednesday night I have started attending a sort of youth group with people from church, and I am looking forward to finding more clubs and activities through the school. On weekend nights, my friends and I usually go to Nueva Cordoba, where most students live. There are lots of outdoor tables at the pub/restaurants where we can sit and talk and people watch and absorb everything we can. Occasionally, we go to a friend's house for dinner or to a boliche to dance. They play all sorts of music, and it is a fun place to talk to locals and have fun with friends.




There you have it!  A day in the life of Becky.  I must say, I have had some great experiences so far just being with these amazing people I am blessed to call my friends.  Every person I've met, whether it be someone at school, a friend from church, a person on the street or a roommate, has been open and welcoming and so friendly.  Having such great people around me has kept my spirits high through homesickness and keeps me looking forward to each day and each new adventure we have together.       


No comments:

Post a Comment