________________________________________________________

not all those who wander are lost


Saturday, April 24, 2010

Dancing Queen

Question: Do South American boys go straight from the womb to dancing shoes?


Answer:  Yes.


Well, apparently at least.  Friday night was a very special night for me here in Cordoba.  My church here is absolutely filled with young people-- people between the ages of 18-25 make up over half of the congregation.  It is a really cool experience to be around so many youths and they are such nice people who've really welcomed me.

Point of the story is, we have a lot of activities for our church and others in the area geared towards the youths.  They are a blast!  On Friday, we had a dance.  Now, I must say... a few elements were very middle-schoolish, but I loved it all the same.  It was everything good about middle school dances, minus the drama, girls crying and bad music.  Basically, it was just a bunch of friends, dancing the night away, laughing and being silly.

The music was all up beat and fun--ranging from salsa to reggaeton to cuarteto.  What is that you ask?  What is cuarteto? ... let me explain.  Cuarteto is a form of music and dance that was born right here in Cordoba, Argentina.  It sounds most similar to a merengue and the dance is a bit of a modified salsa--more turns than hip shaking though.  It is called cuarteto because it is traditionally made up of a four piece band: violin, piano, accordion, and bass.  It's a really good time.  Have a listen: 


I am marveling at the South American boys right now for a few reasons.  One, every single one of them knows how to boogie.  Second, almost every single one of them loves to dance.  This is an AWESOME combination.  I didn't have time to rest my feet once!  Every time I stepped off the dance floor there was a pair of big brown eyes pleading and a hand held out.  Oh alright, let's go for a spin.  I felt like I was on Dancing with the Stars the whole time.  My tired legs finally dragged themselves home in the wee hours of the morning and I fell into an exhausted, but blissful sleep.  I'm so happy to have found such great friends here and so blessed to have these experiences with them.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you posted that video, I've been dying to have a listen. I, unfortunately, didn't get in the music avenue while I was there, and I've been so curious as to what it sounds like! ...now I know! Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like lots of good clean fun! You're so blessed to have so many friends.

    ReplyDelete